#AskStephanie: What if I'm tired of chasing creative success?
We creatives strive so hard to succeed.
I know I have in the past - worked day and night on a goal without coming up for air like my life depended on it - but I never realised how crazy it looked until I saw my other friends doing the same.
Changing and updating things that don't need to be updated. Fixing things about themselves that didn't need to be fixed. Pushing themselves to the point of exhaustion and burnout. It's too much!
But we really don't need to stress out so much. It's gotten to the point where I think we all need to relaaaax.
We expect too much of ourselves, and I'd like to propose a change. Because here's what you should know:
Your success isn't the impossible standard you hold yourself to in your dreams...
It's how you show up in the everyday.
I promise you this: no singular accomplishment, no matter how badly you want it right now, will ever make you say:
"AHHHH Great! I've finally reached my greatest potential."
The goal posts from The Universe would shift, and you'd soon find another goal to attach your self-worth to. So that's not what it's all about. It's not about goals, it's not about what you want, it's about who you are and what you're doing with your life in the everyday moments.
- Your best self is not the person on the bestseller list - your best self is the person who wrote a page today, even when they didn’t want to.
- Your best self isn’t the person who “needs” to lose thirty pounds - they are the person who chose to buy gluten-free desserts instead of defaulting to donuts.
- Your best self isn't the person on a writer's panel, they are the person who works 9-5 but is still fighting hard every weekend for their dream.
Don’t force yourself forward all the time, because all that does is stop you from appreciating the now.
In this moment, you have all you have been and all you will be inside of you. In this moment, you have it all.
So you don't have to bully yourself into doing more, or throw yourself desperately at whatever it is you THINK is "success"...because you're on a journey right now, and the most important thing in this world is that you fully live it.
Success isn't attached to a single, tangible achievement or object.
It's in how you feel and what you do.
- @@Success isn't attached to a single, tangible achievement or object. It's in how you feel and what you do.@@
- @@Your success isn't the impossible standard you hold yourself to in your dreams...it's how you show up in the everyday.@@